What strikes me from looking at the before photos is the original room gave an institutional vibe that translated to “hurry and get the job done — and leave!!”:
The shelves and pantry were helpful in storing items, but they gave the room a claustophobic feeling.
The off-white color of the cabinetry did not help the room look “clean” or fresh.
The room looked like an after-thought; the unframed bulletin board contributed to that feeling.
The light from the ceiling fluorescent fixture, though serviceable, gave the feeling you were in a warehouse.
Here are the finished laundry room photos! Color variations on walls are due to lighting, flash on camera etc…
Walls ~ While the Venetian Plaster was a huge pain in the neck, I LOVE the look as does hubby. I was really surprised at how much dimension it adds an otherwise blah room.
Wall Art ~ I looked at a lot of art for this room. Originally, I was considering some sepia toned, beach prints, but decided to try this photo, pop art of flowers. Boy, I was glad that I did! I brought the orange from the flowers and added it to the bulletin board’s frame with spray paint.
Lighting ~ I love, love, LOVE the new track lighting. Anything less then 6 lights on the system though would have been too few.
Furniture ~ The Baker Rack has worked out even better then I could ever imagine! Because it is located at the hall that opens into the garage, it’s a great place to put schoolbooks, gloves and shoes. Since we don’t have a mud-room this become really helpful during our recent bad weather.
I found this Bakers Rack on Craigslist, and liked the lattice, criss cross, pattern across the back. It was a putty colored – I spraypainted it white; I also changed the finals (top of the unit) to ones from my daughters four-poster bed (it was damaged years ago and I kept the pretty finials).
Appliances ~ LOVE my new front loaders… I found these 3 year old, GE machines on Craigslist for $750. Most likely I’ll be buying pedestals to raise their height, better concealing the plumbing behind.
Molding ~ Clothes rod was boxed in with framing to hide it when entering room. Just that little touch makes the room more elegant. The molding to conceal the clothes rod and the more expensive shelf made of Aspen, all painted fresh white, as well as the larger base molding, again, gives the room added *zing* and a luxury look. This, again, surprised me as I didn’t think it would have as much impact as it did.
The ultimate proof that the remodel is a success is that I’ve been in there a lot keeping the laundry caught up and the room square away. 😀
Total remodeling costs: $1,250
Replaced our older washer and dryer units with front loaders ($750 – 3 years old from Craigslist).
Venetian Plaster, Lowes, Marmo color 4 gallons at $38 per gallon.
Additional cost for sandpaper and for final, gloss coat material.
Molding color is Chef White from Valspar (Lowes) about 1 quart, had on hand.
Base Molding is 6″ tall, about 28 linear feet (about $40);
Additional costs for finishing nails and caulk.
New ceiling light ~ track lighting fixture from Lowes discount ($40);
New shelf unit made from Aspen with molding ($45);
Wall art over washer/dryer was from Gordmans with discount 20% off coupon ($38);
Bulletin board frame from Hobby Lobby’s 50% off sale discount (now painted orange) ($35);
Spraypainted Bakers Rack white and replaced knobs with ones on hand. (BR $25 + $16 paint).
Note: Repair of missing tile will be done in the future – we still need to find a compliment to what is already there.
Except for the floor tile patch (we still need to find some matching tile), the laundry room is now completed.
Liming dates back to 16th century Europe and though similar to pickling it’s older. Designed originally to prevent wormrot to the wood, it gives a white appearance to the wood that is unique and is great for tables, chairs or even picture frames.
The best material for a liming project, is a hardwood such as oak, elm, or walnut, because of their open grains. Pine is not a good choice for this technique.
First, use a wire brush to open the grain. You are not looking to clean the piece, but to open the grain of the wood so it more readily accepts the Liming Paste.
Next, rub the Liming Paste onto the wood using a brush or your hands. If your piece has grooves or carved pieces you can use a brush, fingertips or rag to work the Liming Paste into all the crevices.
Then wipe off the Liming Paste with rags, leaving a ghostlike, pale surface behind – how pale will depend on the type of wood you used, how good a job you did with your wire brush and the original color of the piece. If it isn’t quite how you like, go back to your wire brush and apply more Liming Paste – if too much rub off more.
When it’s dry, use a coat of Sanding Sealer and let dry. Sand lightly and if desired, coat with a surface sealer such as Poly, Varnish or wax.
I fell in love with this technique when I did it on an oak table top and a walnut chair. I hope you like it too as it is easy and really provides a unique effect and the wood ends up feeling soft and smooth.
Paint: Liming Paste is made by mixing latex, white paint with Plaster of Paris. The consistency should be that of a paste, about the thickness of cake batter/muffin mix.
Tools: Paintbrush, white paint, wirebrush, Plaster of Paris, and rags.
Surfaces: Your piece needs to be stripped of any varnish, glaze or wax. If it has a light stain you can try the technique but the more stain removed to bare wood the piece is the better. It does not work on painted pieces.
Ability: Easy. I mastered this technique without any practice.